Mar 20, 2011

Giving Way to Flowers



There are a couple of problems with my layering process. One is that I like to use water-based mediums which smear when they contact another water-based medium. some smearing can be nice but sometimes it just obscures too much of the piece. The other is that the gesso obscures a little more than is ideal, I should experiment more with acrylics but I just don't like the feel of them that much. It is like wearing polyester instead of wool and cotton.

I am in the process of selling my car. What that really means is that my car is at my brother's house and he is selling it for me since I know nothing about cars. For a day and a half after getting back to the city without a car I felt a little panicked and odd. I'd been pretending I didn't have a car for several months, and felt confident enough fulfill this dream I've had for years of not owning a car. It did feel a strange at first, though. Now I am delighted. I feel more tuned-in to the weather, seasons, birds, and the trees of course. It also slows my life down in a really pleasant way. I read on the bus, I organize my time more purposefully and I don't have a large, expensive chunk of resources parked prominently in my list of things I should care care of but don't. One day while I was on the bus I thought I saw a silver deer out of the corner of my eye and thus the piece above.

I don't think cars are pure evil the way I did in my 20's, and I have no issue with using a zip car or a rental. But I do think the whole thing has gotten out of hand. We put too much into owning personal cars and arranging our cities around them when we could be improving public transportation and creating more human-friendly spaces.

No comments: