Aug 1, 2008

Training




























































I feel like I am trekking through a desert of distractions lately and have not made much art. I am all in favor of life getting in the way sometimes but it seemed like I was letting it get in the way too much. I contemplated the situation and realized I am overwhelmed with feeling like I am supposed to have something great to say. This is strange because I am usually pretty wary of people who believe they have something to say that others really need to hear. Sort of like how my former boss believes that anyone who wants to be president should be immediately disqualified.
Also, I have no idea what to do with any of the pieces I'm working on. I like the blue negative space in the cursive piece but where is it going? When do I stop filling in little spaces? I see a lot of potential in the IMPORTANT piece but I have no vision for it. I was just seeing what would happen if I just painted. The print I like but it needs more value range and nothing makes sense to be darker except the crow. I know I'll figure it all out eventually. Sometimes
I think the whole reason I am an artist is to get comfortable with this process where you just have to try things and be willing to make mistakes. To learn to intuit what the next step is without having any idea where the whole thing is going. It's like I'm in training to be a human being.

2 comments:

Dale said...

God, I LOVE the print!

Crafty Green Poet said...

I've enjoyed browsing your work here, you've done some excellent pieces!

I like the fact that some pieces develop their own way and it only becomes clear where they're going later...