Nov 6, 2012

The Smoke Tree and 99 other Treescapes






I was out sketching the smoke trees in the arboretum the other day when I caught myself pretending the tree didn't have leaves. The leaves were all these amazing, iridescent shades of Autumn and I am just hacking away at the structure of the trunk and branches. the obvious then occurred to me: I avoid painting things I don't know how to paint and the only way to learn how to paint something is to paint it. So I decided to get to work painting 100 treescape paintings with leaves, underbrush, complicated backgrounds, evergreen boughs...all the things I avoid.

These are the three different versions I did of the smoke trees, in reverse order. The middle one I painted right on top of my field sketch and I like it the best.


No comments: