Jan 1, 2013

Love Poem for the Spanish Chestnut Grove



I have been a wimp about sketching out in the cold this winter. Maybe I've just been distracted with holidays and not sleeping well, but either way...I haven't kept up with making treescapes. When I decided to paint tree love poems the obvious thing to do was to get out old sketches to work from. Old sketches are perfect because I don't have enough of a memory of what I was looking at to get caught up in making it true-to-life. Instead I can focus on making a good painting out of the feeling of the sketch.

I love this painting, it is one of those pieces that reassure me that what I'm working towards as an artist is actually happening. I want to work on it a bit more but thought sharing it would be a fun way to start the new year. I have an overwhelming stack of sketches that I want to turn into paintings, I will have to make a trip to the lumber store tomorrow for plywood and get going on them. It's tempting to count tree love poems as part of the 100 treescapes but I think they should be separate, even if it takes me years to finish the treescapes because I have so many poems to paint.

No comments: