Jul 11, 2008

Tapping the Wisdom of My Inner Boss

So, when I returned from my family reunion I was strangely despondent. The reunion was fun and no obligations lay before me for some eight weeks besides working at the cafe on the weekends (oh, and moving to Olympia but that's a whole 'nother post). It didn't make any sense to be anything other than ecstatic but I am used to not making any sense and have developed expert excavation skills to get into these sorts of surprises.
So I stared expertly at the ceiling and contemplated the exact nature of this despondency. I realized that I was overwhelmed with all my free time
I did what any good Capricorn would
do and made up some rules. This morning I woke up perky knowing I had rules to follow and obligations to fulfill. I went to work and found, with delight, that the overwhelming pressure was gone. It was no longer important how much I achieved because I knew that with the time set aside I couldn't not get things done. Now, I know what you're thinking! You're thinking that I should be an accountant instead of an artist. But the whole crazy rebellious artist thing is just a myth that only came about after Van Gogh. Personally I find when my outer world is fairly structured and simple I have more inner room to be creative. These photos are of phase one and two of an under-painting for an all text piece I'm going to do. This first layer is just paint over gesso, the letters are scratched through while the paint is still wet. The second one is lettering in ink that has been mostly washed away.

2 comments:

Dale said...

:-) Good!

:-( Moving to Olympia?

Anonymous said...

yesyesyes - while I have always admired your interpretation of text, I especially appreciate cursive.