Oct 30, 2007

The Virility of Paper


Today I started blending pulp for a new batch of paper. This will be an abaca, hemp, cotton blend with some recycled printmaking paper thrown in. My inspiration is a little seed from the bushes behind my apartments. There were many of them floating through the parking lot the other day, bundles of fluff sailing whimsically along. I picked one up off the banister and noticed that inside the fluff the seed was shaped just like a sperm with a long, windy tail. Normally I don't gravitate towards the crude but who could resist a beautiful, handcrafted piece of paper that happens to have giant sperm in it, each going their own merry little way! It's so understated, can you imagine sending a casual little note to a new boyfriend or girlfriend on such paper! I'll photograph it when it's finished. For now there is just buckets of blended pulp and buckets of fibers to be blended.

No comments: