May 17, 2012

To Blog or Not to Blog



If I waited eight more days it would be exactly a year since my last blog post. I had, at one point, made an official decision not to blog because it took time away from actually making art, but I was so busy making art that I didn't have time to end the blog in an official way. Now I have the opportunity to continue on as though nothing ever happened. To be honest, I don't miss the blogging part that much. I'm just so enamored with all my sketch books, experiments and under-paintings I thought it would be fun to continue posting them.

It's been a good year; I spent a lot of time sketching trees, making experiments that went nowhere and ruining promising paintings. (The above painting has since been ruined, below is a detail from an even earlier stage.) I even submitted work to a group show about poetry and calligraphy. I didn't get in, but they were looking for calligraphers. I haven't done anything resembling calligraphy in quite a while, I just couldn't resist the poetry theme! I'm glad I gave it a go, it feels good to take a risk and get over the fear of the amorphous cloud of judgement that keeps me from trying new things.

I think my most interesting piece from the last year is the illustrated book I made last Christmas for my family, I posted it on The Weight of a Crow if you want to check it out.



No comments: